6/29/08

Someday my House will be Clean

Sometimes my house makes me so depressed, because it's old, and has been housing a packrat(me), a slob(my husband), and a tornado(my son). It needs so much work, but because of the aforementioned inhabitants, we have no time or room in which to do it. I have a long list of things I'm planning, but I'm afraid it won't happen until the kid's in school every day. So we're shooting for 2011, which seems far away but in reality will probably disappear before I have time to notice. Lack of sleep does that to you.


So here are the things I'd like to do, should time suddenly stop for everyone but me and make finding a free moment no longer a problem:

1.paint my front room a pretty coral peach with a deeper coral accent wall.

2.paint my dining room a lovely shade of 1940's mint green that's a touch yellower than what most people think of mint.

3.Paint the attached kitchen a lovely 1950's shade of buttery yellow and accenting it with black, red, deep green, and mint green accents. The cabinets will stay white, and the appliances will all get a much needed deep scrubbing.

4.paint the baby's room a lovely muted aquamarine blue with a mural of pirates, robots, dinosaurs and monkeys on one wall. Preferably before he enters high school.

5.paint our room a nice bordello off-red to complement our rose red/black/yellow silk/leopard print colour scheme (It's not as gaudy as it sounds-or maybe it is. I'm probably not the best judge).

6.PULL UP THIS GODAWFUL AVOCADO GREEN CARPET!!! We have hardwood floors beneath. Know how I know? There are holes in the carpet. Big holes that look like someone's been snacking on it. The carpet is literally older than I am, and the colour is the visual representation of airsickedness.

7.putting up all our accumulated 1950's-1960's knicknacks in Target-bought shadow boxes and shelves so we have some actual horizontal space in the house.

8.hanging our paintings so we have a nice assortment of our artwork on display, instead of housing it all in the basement where it floods.

9.replacing furniture that's been wrecked by toddler hands with reasonably nice vintage pieces. Blonde wood, mostly, which is how I like my furniture but not my men.

10.building a stone patio in the back yard. Why hire a contractor when you can injure your own fingers, toes and back?

11.building a koi pond in the back yard (mostly that's my husband's gig--I'm not as big on digging holes in the lawn).

12.finishing the basement, and putting a tiki bar/home office/workshop in place of the multitudes of boxed up junk that resides there now.

The house in my head is so lovely, and so much better than what I see around me now, which is a mixture of Armageddon, Beirut, The day after Spring Break in Daytona, and Crayola carnage. Hopefully someday I'll get a little closer to it in real life. Toddlerdom can't last forever, can it? :)

No comments: